There are 5.22 unique mobile users in the world in 2021, according to Datareportal, and the average user spends 4 hours and 10 minutes using a mobile device every day. The opportunity for app businesses to capture this attention is vast, but competition for these users is fierce as more app enter the app marketplaces every day.
As of January 2021, iOS users accounted for 27.47% of all global mobile devices. And as we all know by now, the introduction of App Tracking Transparency (ATT) has made it harder than ever to optimize iOS campaigns. From user acquisition to retention and engagement, the users who chose not to opt into tracking (around 79%) are now a bit of a mystery to app marketers.
But they don't have to be.
User acquisition and Retention in the post- IDFA era
Savvy app marketers are learning how to thrive in the post-IDFA landscape. In fact, there are two main strategies that intrepid app marketers are using to continue their mobile growth journeys.
- Increase opt-ins: In the ATT-era it is critical to understand user attitudes toward opt-ins, optimize your "ask," and A/B test your opt-in strategy to understand what works best. From the size of your pop-up, to where it appears, to when it appears, test everything! And make sure your value proposition is clear.
- Use the data you do have: Not only do you, likely, have years of historical data, but your relatively small pool of opted-in users are still sharing their most-valuable-than-ever data. Admittedly, pre-pandemic data may not be useful anymore, but you still had a year or more of data to get to know your users' new habits and patterns. There is a lot of information you can extrapolate from this and from the data your opted-in users are sharing. Use it!
- Learn how to balance data privacy and personalization: iOS users may not be sharing their data, but they still expect personalized experiences. (This user expectation is one of the main selling-points to use in your opt-in messaging.) And a personalized experience remains critical to user retention. Sounds like an impossible task, right? It's not, but you do need a strategy.
Managing Mobile App Growth
Mobile app marketers have had to completely rewrite their playbooks since the beginning of 2020. At a time when app marketers needed the most help, you found yourselves working from home and cut-off from the in-person learning and connections that helped you learn new strategies and find new tools in the past. But that's not true anymore.
There are many reasons to join the Mobile Growth community at MGS 22 Las Vegas, but let’s dive into five of the most important.
- A chance to build your network and your knowledge base — Meet the mobile marketing industry’s top thought-leaders and developers.
- The adventure of a lifetime — Whether you’re a foodie, an adrenaline junkie, or have always wanted to operate construction equipment, there’s an MGA Adventure for you.
- Honor the 2022 Women of the Year — Our judges are hard at work choosing the industry’s best and brightest women to honor.
- Get a little R&R — MGS 22 Las Vegas is a two-day event, but we’re taking over the Venetian Resort for a full week with an all-suite block of rooms for a luxury-vacation feel.
- Contribute to the future of mobile-gaming — Join us for the invite-only Market Intelligence Day to get your name on our white paper.
Get Your 2022 Mobile Growth Strategy in Place
The mobile app landscape is changing rapidly. The creator economy is changing the way we think about monetization at the precise time that subscription revenue is becoming more valuable than ever. Navigating all of these challenges requires knowledge and a rock-solid strategy. The speakers and attendees at MGS 22 Las Vegas can help you continue to grow and thrive in 2022 and beyond.